The Legacy Youth Alliance (LYA) has been established to support qualifying youth-led projects and youth-serving organizations and encourages eligible non-profits to apply for funding when appropriate.
Eligibility: The applying organization must be an IRS 501(c)(3) not for profit providing services in Wapello County. Eligible projects must be a primarily youth-led organization and/or providing services to youth. Priority will be given to programs and projects most likely to have a positive impact on area youth. If the applicant does not have nonprofit status they may use a qualifying fiscal sponsor*.
Funding Priorities: The Legacy Youth Alliance seeks innovative projects that are youth-led or youth focused and are responsive to the needs of Wapello County youth. LYA gives higher priority to programs/projects that focus on the following:
- Education, particularly early childhood or secondary/post-secondary education attainment
- Physical, social and/or mental health
In reviewing grant applications, LYA gives careful consideration to:
- Alignment of project/program with funding priorities
- Level of community impact
- Demonstration of collaboration, partnerships and non-duplicative services
- Leveraging of other funding sources
LYA does not fund:
- Individuals or for-profit organizations
- Projects or programs that are not youth-led or youth focused
- Organizations that do not have a 501(c)(3) IRS status or a qualified fiscal sponsor*
- Programs that do not fall within the specified geographic region
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, creed, gender or sexual orientation
- Sectarian religious activities or direct political lobbying
- Debt reduction
- event sponsorships
How to Apply
To be considered for funding, a grant proposal must be submitted online, no paper applications will be accepted. Along with the grant application, the following supporting documentation is required:
- 501(c)(3) Letter of Determination
- Letter of project/program support from the executive official of the applying organization or fiscal sponsor
- Detailed, itemized project budget (budget template provided on website)
For questions concerning the grant application process contact a Youth Legacy Alliance member or Amy Nossaman, Grants Program Manager at 641.455.5260 or email@example.com.
Grant Award Requirements
- Grant recipients will be required to sign a grant agreement before funds will be distributed.
- Grantees are required to file a final report at the end of their project or within 12 months of grant award. Failure to submit a final report will negatively affect the sponsoring organization’s ability to receive future grants from the foundation.
- Legacy Youth Alliance members may request a site visit to learn more about your project or program.
*Sponsoring organization or qualified fiscal sponsor is ultimately responsible for the grant funds and for ensuring the project is successfully implemented as stated in the grant application and per the grant agreement. If awarded a grant, the sponsoring organization will receive the grant check, sign the grant agreement, and be responsible for working with the applying organization to disperse the funds appropriately.
Grant Awards: $10,000 to be awarded per grant cycle; single year grants only with requests not to exceed $2,500.
Timeline: Applications are available October 1, 2017. Completed applications must be submitted by December 1, 2017.